Andrew Rossmann

In article .com,
says...

Regarding the Sony 24": I paid more attention to the grid pattern with
a dot in the middle of each square and also noticed that the dots two
inches or less from the sides and top/bottom of screen are severely
"flared", almost doubled.

Does this imply convergence issues, and how can I *attempt* to get
those dots as sharp as those in the center of the screen. No wonder
this thing is so blurry all the time!

It's mostly an effect of a flat screen with minimal, or no, dynamic
focus adjustment. If the dots stay mostly white, it's just the focus
issue. If the colors start to separate, it's also a convergence issue.
Unfortunately, the FS/FV series have minimal adjustments, and those are
mainly on the CRT or yoke itself. You typically need to use special
magnets glued to the CRT.

Manufacturers have announced even thinner CRT screens, with even
bigger sweep angles. They are using higher powered CPU's to help with
the dynamic focus. One future resolution is to have the main scanning
VERTICAL instead of horizontal. A frame would have to be buffered then
translated. This would reduce the amount of CPU power needed to adjust
focus as you have a full 1/60th of a second for the large horizontal
sweep.

Thanks for any suggs on the Sony convergence. I never thought I'd see
convergence issues on a good ole' CRT!

Convergence has always been a problem with color CRT's. With 3
different beams to make the colors, you always run into problems. It may
not get as bad as a CRT projector can get, but it's always an issue.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross