David E. Penner

In article gduee.11394$Ri.1496@trnddc08, "BillyBob"
wrote:

Thanks all for the ideas - I do realize that 8X3 = 24 and not 25 but the
boards are about 8.5" each.

My main concern is the stability of the top to keep it from warping or
cupping. I will alternate the board grain directions for sure.

Has anyone actually used 8"+ boards for such a glue-up and how did it work?

Thanks
BillyB

My largest glue-up has been approximately 76" x 40". I've used boards up
to approximately 10" wide in glue-ups with no problems. I, like others
have mentioned, do glue-ups that give me the grain pattern I like,
regardless of which face ends up on top.

Remember, start with wood that is acclimated to your shop. I like to mill
my wood to slightly thicker (1/8" or so) than finished size. I then
sticker and let sit a day or two. That will typically give any problem
boards time to move; these I re-joint. I then plane all to a hair thicker
than final size and then glue them up. The glue up is kept stickered after
it is removed from clamps until it is in the final piece.

david

ps. Since your design is for a tv cabinet, I take it the top will be
attached to the rest of the cabinet. This will help keep it flat.