George

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
ink.net...
BillyBob wrote:
I am making the top for a TV cabinet (Mission Style) and it will be
25"x42"x1" - I have a good supply of 5/4 red oak and am wondering if it
would be wise to glue up 4" strips to make the top or just go with 3 -

8"
pieces? The wood is flatsawn and not quartersawn.

Any advise or comments appreciated. . .

I don't want to be a smart ass but last time I checked, 3*8 doesn't
quite get you to 25.

No matter how you approach it, 4 boards are req'd to make a 25 wide top.

How you cut them to get there depends on the wood at hand. You have to
make that call.

It's not absolute dimension or ring orientation that counts, so make it look
good. If that involves a four inch between two eights for a nice grain
pattern, have at it. I think a lot of folks neglect the mock up and mineral
spirit stage and end up with some ugly, but reversed ring glueups.