T i m

On 4 May 2005 14:30:16 -0700, "jkn" wrote:

Hi Tim
Thought I'd replied earlier, but it doesn't seem to have got
through...

Thanks for trying again Jon ;-)

A couple of things used for motor-platter linkage on 'high end d-i-y'
turntables a

- fishing line, tied with a reef knot
- dental floss, tied similarly I guess

Seems bizzare, I know, but these are supposed to sound _better_ than a
belt.

I think the elasticity of a belt is supposed to reduce the flutter but
equally if the linkage between motor and platter were more
rigid(dental floss) the platter's mass should (could?) moderate the
motor to some degree?

I'd imagine how well this works depends on the diameter and shape
of your motor pulley amongst other things. Might be worth a try...

As you say .. I sorta have tried, in the form of a fairly thin
elastic band and as John confirms later the drive motor output in this
case is shaped like a barrel to ensure the belt self centres. I think
I have seen your solution in action where the drive pully is 'V'
shaped though and then the thin round / square line might work ok ..
;-)

All the best and thanks for the second post ;-)

T i m