Dominic Palazzola

thank you for the input. so any of you fellas in s.e. Michigan?

"DeepDiver" wrote in message
"Dominic Palazzola" wrote in
message ...

ok so you guys convinced me that the silver solder is not going to work
in this application. what about this welder?

does mig welding produce the bright hot flash that arc welding does?
bottom line do I need a welding hood or goggles?

*All* welding requires shaded eye protection, whether you use gas or
electricity!

MIG welding is simply a specialized form of electric arc welding. And with
any type of electric arc welding, not only must you shield your eyes from
the intense light and the UV radiation, but you also need to shield your
face, hands, arms, etc., from spattering molten metal. So a welding hood
is a requirement, as are leather welding gloves, and -- at a minimum --
flame-retardant protective coveralls (serious weldors will invest in
leather welding jackets and other protective gear). Of course, you also
have to be careful of spattering hot metal igniting flammables in your
work area. And you need to avoid breathing the welding fumes, especially
if welding zinc galvanized metal.

MIG welding is not particularly difficult. But like many shop operations,
it can be very dangerous if the proper procedures and precautions are not
followed. If you intend to buy your own MIG welder, I suggest you take a
class first. If that's not feasible, then at least buy a good training
video and a book to study first.

As for the machines, that Harbor Freight welder is not a "true" MIG
welder, as it only works with flux-cored wire. A "true" MIG welder uses a
bottle of commpressed inert gas (hence the name "MIG -- Metal Inert Gas")
to shield the molten weld pool from oxidation. While flux-core wire can be
used to achieve the same effect, there are disadvantages (including the
higher cost of the wire).

I have no experience or knowledge of the HF line of low-cost welders, but
as they say "you get what you pay for". I am not a critic of Harbor
Freight (in fact, I've bought many decent tools from them), but I'd cast a
very critical eye towards those MIG welders. The problem for you is, with
no experience with MIG welding, how can you accurately judge the quality
and features of those machines?

I don't want to discourage you from learning a new trade and buying a new
toy, err...tool. But I don't think this is something you should rush into
without more knowledge and experience.

Regards,
Michael