The Natural Philosopher

Adrian C wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

And in any case, a £50 quid CD player these days out outperforms a
£1000 turntable.

Not wholly true. I'd say £200 CD vs. £400 turntable/cartridge for a
shoot out. The question is does the information coded on CD's outperform
the information pressed on LP's? I've got identical albums on both CD
and Vinyl which not all the time sound better on CD. Blame the recording
companies for that one....

Yes, but we aren't comparing CD's to LPs but cd players to turntables.

Asssuming they are accurately timed and have decent D to A converters -
(1 bit 4 x oversampling with maybe interploation) and decent fliters,
then they are going to be free of all wow flutter and resonance, and
have a razor flat respionse from DC to the Nyquist cutoff minus the
necessary guard band, and be as high S/N ratio as the recording
methodology allows. 50 quid

To do that with a turntable means mounting it on a huge slab of
conceret, possibluy ins a soundproof casing. using a hiuege
electromecahniacl system to spin it at exactly teh right RPM, probabluyy
air beraiungs to stop teh rumble, and a very very well set up arm and
cartridge accurately matched to a very carefully designed low noise
pre-amp. 5000 quid.

You may LIKE all those subtle rumbles and resonances - lots of people do
- but they are in no way a sign of technical excellece.

---
Adrian