ChrisCoaster

Andrew Rossmann wrote:
[This followup was posted to sci.electronics.repair and a copy was

sent
to the cited author.]

For the Sony, you can also check the forums at www.agoraqest.com.

I assume on the Sony you made your adjustments in the DEF group? Be

aware that there may also be a 16:9 group, which would be active if

the
DVD is sending an anamorphic signal. This section includes some

geometry
settings of it's own. If the TV cannot override the anamorphic mode,

you
may need to temporarily set your DVD player to letterbox mode and

make
adjustments under DEF, then set to widescreen/anamorphic/16:9 and and

make adjustments under 16:9.

I would still consider getting Avia and/or DVE (Digital Video
Essentials.) They contain nice instructions on how to perform

settings,
MANY more patterns, filters for setting tint/color if you don't want

mess with turning guns on and off, and extensive audio adjustments.

Also, especially with the 24" Sony, too much brightness could

overload
the TV's power supply, causing bowing and other issues. Both DVD's

have
needle pulse patterns designed to help find your maximum white level
(Contrast or Picture) that the TV can properly handle.

--
If there is a no_junk in my address, please REMOVE it before

replying!

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross

________________________

Regarding the Sony 24": I paid more attention to the grid pattern with
a dot in the middle of each square and also noticed that the dots two
inches or less from the sides and top/bottom of screen are severely
"flared", almost doubled.

Does this imply convergence issues, and how can I *attempt* to get
those dots as sharp as those in the center of the screen. No wonder
this thing is so blurry all the time!

Otherwise, the Toshiba 24" is great - the closest I guess one can get
to a "mini-cini".

Thanks for any suggs on the Sony convergence. I never thought I'd see
convergence issues on a good ole' CRT!

-CC