The Natural Philosopher

T i m wrote:

On Tue, 03 May 2005 22:13:41 +0100, Pete C
wrote:

2.99 from Maplins, (poss. FJ20W?):

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=3088&TabID=1&source=15&WorldI D=&doy=3m5

see also note under FAQ.

Tim finally gets the superglue off his fingers and types

Thanks to all that replied and the advice warnings re a diy belt. ;-)

The Maplin solution (not the same as the stuff for disolving
intestines PeterS) looks pretty good but with the diameter of the
drive flange (I can say 'flange'' here can't I?) at about 200mm I
don't know if a 195 or 210 diameter one would be best (the drive
spindle is about 15mm away from the flange (there, I said it again))
;-)

However, even with the p&p doubling the cost it still might just be
cheaper than driving to my *local* HiFi shop if I knew where that was
(but thanks for that Geoff) and being ripped off for one (£5.99
against £2.99 at Maplin if I one was near?). Either way it still seems
a lot of money for a rubber band?

Ok, I could borrow a decent deck (T.N.P.) if ....

1) I knew anyone that had one ...

2) Was likely to get them to lend it to me .. "Fred, your Linn Sondek
LP12 turntable, how easy is it to get it off that concrete plinth .. "
?

Well if you are anywhere near west suffolk, Ive got a direct drive
parallel tracking revox doing not much these days, with an ortofon in it.

p.p.s. I bought some 'special 'Superglue' at the Model Engineering Exp
this year that is very good for bonding rubber. The guy demos it by
cutting through a large 'O' ring, dabing a drop of the stuff on the
end (butt) joint and 3 seconds later playing tug-of-war with the
biggest bloke standing nearby .. nearly pulled me over! blush

Yup. Its how I make tyres for the toy planes. Using bits of foam cord
from a vintage car parts supplier...