MikeMandaville

John Horner wrote:
"MikeMandaville" wrote in message

I am assuming that you probably already know about the Gingery
shop-from-scrap series, though, just in case you don't, here is the
link:

http://www.lindsaybks.com/dgjp/djgbk/series/index.html

I am new to the metalworking thing, though I am a long time

woodworker and
DIY auto mechanic. Thanks for the reference, I have ordered the

books!

Just to save some time, I've been thinking about doing the casting

by
using the thermit process:

http://www.lindsaybks.com/bks4/thermit/

I've long thought how great it would be to be able to do some small

part
casting. Hmmm!

John

Hello again, John.

Welcome to what has been dubbed "the Gingery journey"! Here is our
mailing list:

We are more than two thousand strong now, and growing. Your
woodworking experience will put you in good stead, because, of course,
it is necessary to build a wooden pattern for each cast part, and I
think that it would probably be fair to say that the patternmaking is
the main part of the work.

I was only joking about the thermit. On the other hand, I have seen
precision steel casting done with thermit, so it is definitely
possible. For example, one fellow I know cast a steel link for a
chain. The amazing thing, however, is that he started out with a link
which was already cast, and then he cast the second link so that it
interlocked with the first link!

Mike Mandaville
building a test stand for my first (storebought)radio-controlled model
airplane engine (I'll build the next one myself!)