Martin Angove

In message ,
"Jim Alexander" wrote:

Couple of points, the lack of pipe space at the rear of IKEA units is a pain

[...]

Apart from that there are sizing differences which may make a diference, for
example MFI drawer units are 600mm and IKEA are 400mm. Ditto tall units are
different widths. That might make a difference if you are tight for space.

We fitted an Ikea kitchen last year and got around the lack of pipe
space by re-arranging pipework to run at skirting level. How practical
this would be elsewhere is really determined by the layout of the
kitchen.

One potential advantage to this I didn't think of at the time is that it
is theoretically possible... erm... well... perhaps, to get at the pipes
and so on without dismantling the units. Services run behind units are
effectively sealed in until you decide to remove the unit. Run them at
skirting level and once you've removed the plinth you've a chance... if
your arms are exceptionally long and thin. As it happens, I've arranged
the pipe runs so that there are no joints in this area so hopefully it
won't be an issue.

As for the drawers, ISTR that there were 400, 600 and 800 units in
3-drawer and 5-drawer available when we bought. Possibly the 5-drawer
wasn't available at 800 and certainly the 800 wasn't available in all
styles. We have both 400 and 800 in our kitchen. They are standing up to
a lot of abuse too - one of the 800 units has the bulk of our crockery
in it and must be holding a heck of a lot of weight, the other has all
the tinned food. As it happens both 800 units are near side walls so
they're screwed to battens attached to those walls as well as being
attached to the wall behind where possible.

Having never fitted a kitchen of any sort previously I was pleasantly
surprised. Not only that, but (contrary to stories I have since heard)
everything was delivered on time, complete and undamaged. The icing on
the cake was that we went to the store when they happened to be having
one of their 20%-off-everything days (we didn't know this until we
turned up) and with the money we therefore saved we were able to afford
the dishwasher we were leaving a space for. We did break one unit leg,
but they're available off-the-shelf so it was very easy to replace.

Our decision to go for drawers instead of cupboards where possible was
definitely the correct one too - pull the thing out and you have instant
access to everything inside without having to unpack the front of the
shelf first. Brilliant.

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove: http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/
.... Housework can kill you if done right.