Ian Stirling

Jethro_uk wrote:

Indeed.

Better than the usual metal bands, which are weaker and can come off.

Some cars came with jubilee clips out of the factory.

I was always told that the worm gear end caused the whole half-shaft to be
unbalanced, leading to subtle but wearing vibration ...

I'm sure there's someone here who could work out the torque cause by 1g
spinning about an axis of 6-10cm at 1000+rpm ?

No torque.
(unless it hits something).
I assume you mean a radius of 3-5cm.
A=V^2/r
Surface speed at radius of 5cm and 1200RPM (20RPS) is 5*20*3.14... = 3m/s.
Or, A=9/.05 = 9*20 = 180m/s^2.
For a gram, that's an out-of-balance force of 18g.
In an assembly that'll weigh many kilos, this is not going to be
damaging.
It may show up as a little extra vibration.
Of course, the trivial solution to balance it out is to simply use two
clips, one pointing clockwise, one anti, with the heads spaced at 180 degrees.