Michelle

www.lowes.com
select "design a deck"
after you answer all the questions, it will give you a 3-D drawing with
several views of a finished design

"Buell Boy" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've looked and looked on DIY and other sites and I can't seem to find
some simple deck construction answers. If you can assist please jump
in! I'm building a 1500 sq ft deck with composite. If you know of
websites with these specific drawings I'd be very greatful.

(1) My deck will have many levels. Most of the joists are 2x8, and it
seems most sites recommend a 7" rise. How are the joists best
constructed in that case? I'm thinking of overlapping the joists by 8",
then attaching 2 vertical 8x16 pieces to the outside with carriage
bolts. Then supporting the riser section with a 4x8 beam.

That's my own idea- like I said, I can't find drawings for a 2-level
joist design anywhere. If you have a website or advise please feel
free.

Like this: (o = carriage bolt)

-------------------
upper | o|----vertical boards on each side
joist | o |
------------------- ------------------------------
| o |
-------------------------------------
|||beam
-----
pier

Problem is- for say 20 joists, this is a LOT of construction, and a lot
of materials. Particularly if there are like 4 rises in one deck
section!

(2) I was planning to use piers to support the 4x4's. How deep should
these go? How wide? Round or square? Should the post be best attached
with those single-bolt standoffs, or with those stand-offs mounted into
wet concrete? We live in Florida. The deck will be about 28" above the
elevation.

(3) Can I use composite for rounded edges? I thought on some levels I
may try to round them.

(4) Is the flashing on the house supposed to go just over the joists,
or over the composite decking? I thought I might use like 10 inch
flashing over the joists by the house to keep rain away from the
foundation/ Would that work, or would it be bad for the joists?

(5) One site said to slope the deck away from the house, about 1" for
every 10'. Is this OK to slope it in both X and Y that way?

(6) What special considertations are there for decking around a large,
live tree?

Thanks!

BX1