Jerry Foster

"~Roy~" wrote in message
Rings are easy to work down over a piston into their respective
positons without any tools if your only doing a piston or two on
occassion. If I was in the business of overhauling engines I would
invest in a ring expandcer for installing rings as well as a ring
com[ressor for compressing them around the piston so you can slip them
in their cylinders.......As to ring gap, each and evey spec engine has
its own ring gap. Ring gapa is the space between the rings whrn the
ring is in the cylinder. Its necessary to have the correct gap for
retaings sufficient sealing area for compression and sufficient space
to keep them from expanding when hot and possibly scrubbing and
breaking...so check your manual for what the ring gap is. Install or
place a ring in the cylinder without it being installe don a piston,
and measure gap between rings ends......to small a gap, just file it a
b it to get the proper gap measurement..If its too large check to make
sure you have proper rings, or perhaps your cylinder is worn so it
needs reboring and fitting of next size piston and rings.........

On Mon, 2 May 2005 18:19:10 +0000 (UTC), Christopher Tidy
wrote:

===Hi,
===
===I need to fit piston rings to an old Wolseley single cylinder

engine.
===I've removed the piston and have the new rings ready, but want to

make
===sure I don't scratch the piston or damage the rings in the process.

Can
===anyone offer some advice about what is the best method for
===removing/installing piston rings? I remember someone telling me a

long
===time ago that new rings could be easily installled by wrapping a

sheet
===of thin copper around the piston and sliding the rings down over it.
===What do people recommend? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
===
===Best wishes,
===
===Chris Tidy

One other little trick nobody's mentioned.

When you check the gap, you need to have the ring in the cylinder absolutely
square. The easy way to do it is to put the ring into the cylinder and then
push it down a little using a piston (sans rings) as a tool. That way, your
measurement of the gap (with a feeler guage) will be accurate.

Jerry