Moray Cuthill

"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message
Hi,

I need to fit piston rings to an old Wolseley single cylinder engine. I've
removed the piston and have the new rings ready, but want to make sure I
don't scratch the piston or damage the rings in the process. Can anyone
offer some advice about what is the best method for removing/installing
piston rings? I remember someone telling me a long time ago that new rings
could be easily installled by wrapping a sheet of thin copper around the
piston and sliding the rings down over it. What do people recommend? Any
suggestions would be much appreciated.

Fitting piston rings by hand is the easiest way. Just gently hook one end
down onto the piston, and work your way around to get the complete ring onto
the top off the piston. Then gently work it down the piston. Obivously
you'll have to get the first ring past at least one groove, and the easiest
way to do that, is to get the ring just above the groove, then hook one end
down and over the groove, and work around the piston just the same as
getting the ring onto the piston.

Ooops, should off put removing them first.
Removing them can be done by using a couple small screwdrivers. Just hook
the end off the ring out with one, then with the other just work you're way
around the ring with the other, gradually moving the end up the piston and
out off the groove.

Unless you're extremely harsh, you won't do any damage to the piston. To get
an idea off how strong the rings are, once you get one off the old ones off,
break it. Personally I think handling piston rings is just like handling a
sheet off glass. You've got to be firm but gentle.