Andrew Gabriel

Default Electric pylons... are they noisy?

In article ,
"Dave" writes:
We're planning to move soon but noticed there are overhead electric pylons
in some parts of the town... health and aesthetic issues aside, we are also
concerned about the fizzy and/or buzzing noise they are said to make.

Anyone confirm this and suggest at what distance the noise should be
inaudible?

I have often heard the overhead lines near me buzzing in damp weather. I
dont know whether it only happens at the pylons or not, but there is a pylon
within about 30 metres of where I have heard buzzing.

It happens all along the length of the cables, not just at pylons.
I used to walk under some on the way to work, and you could clearly
hear when you were underneath, even when visibility was such you
couldn't see them. Alongside a main road, you can hear them for
perhaps 100 yards either side (these were the 275kV ones). In the
quiet countryside, I would imagine that would be extended. As Dave
said, it's more noticable in damp weather.

--
Andrew Gabriel