Charley

6 hours doesn't sound bad for that size job to me. It would take me at least
that long to do that and probably more.

I decided a long time ago that my time spent on a project in my shop doesn't
count as time usually does. "It's the journey rather than the destination
that I seek". I always try to do it as right as possible to satisfy my own
desires. When it's done, it's done! I seem to do great during the sawdust
part, but the finishing seems to drag on (not my favorite part). I usually
finish something when it starts getting in my way and I want the space.

I'm a recently retired engineer who spent most of my career designing and
building automated manufacturing machinery and controls. Recently I started
getting bored with my own home shop projects and decided that I needed to
find a new interest and "get involved" again. I volunteered my time and my
shop to build projects for a children's science museum that's located about
20 miles from me. They jumped at the chance to get me and so far things are
going great. They ask me to do something, and then pretty much leave it
totally up to me to design and build it my way. I can use their huge wood
shop or my own (usually use my own so I don't have to commute) and they
reimburse me for all of my expenses. I'm also providing technical training
in pneumatics, electronics, and automation to their personnel whenever they
need assistance. I usually set my own hours and schedules and they seem very
happy to get whatever help that I'm willing to provide. It's been a real
pleasure to be able to make projects of scientific interest and
entertainment for the children, and the adults who come to the museum. If
any of you "retired" guys out there want to make something in your shop to
help the children and get involved in your community I suggest that you find
one of these museums in your area and offer to help.
--
Charley

"loutent" wrote in message

Hi all,

Today was a great day here in the north-east for
retired woodworkers in the spring - a real rainy
dismal day where you could justify being in the shop
instead of outside in the garden transplanting, dividing
or just generally at SWMBO's beck and call.

"Yeah - it's a wash out honey - can't even do our 3+ mile
walk in this kind of weather" g.

10:00 AM: "I'll be down in the shop 'putzin' around' with the
entertainment center project."

"OK"

--------

I can really build boxes good. A month or so ago, I made a couple
of 44 (w) by 27 (h) x 26 (deep) cabinets out of oak ply -
no problem - couple of hours in the shop at the end of a day.

In the meantime, we are deciding how to arrange the shelving
in said boxes. Finally "we" agree that they should each have
a "half" shelf about 12" deep with a bottom support (since I have
about 1000+ LP's from the 70's on that I refuse to get rid of and
that I will rip to digital when I get time).

So there I am - starting at 10:AM - measuring, marking, testing,
re-testing - cutting, trimming, dado-ing (sp?). Routing a stopped
dado in opposte ends of a cabinet with a dado for a middle support
in said shelf and cabinet bottom.

6 Hours later - success - for 1 cabinet!

Jeez! And I have all the freakin' tools!

Is it just me? I am slow, so slow.... and Norm does so much
in 25 minutes...

I need support....

Lou