ChrisCoaster

Andrew Rossmann wrote:
[This followup was posted to sci.electronics.repair and a copy was

sent
to the cited author.]

In article .com,
says...

(Coaster deletes his own jaw-flappin')

For the Sony, you can also check the forums at
www.agoraqest.com.

I assume on the Sony you made your adjustments in the DEF group? Be

aware that there may also be a 16:9 group, which would be active if

the
DVD is sending an anamorphic signal. This section includes some

geometry
settings of it's own. If the TV cannot override the anamorphic mode,

you
may need to temporarily set your DVD player to letterbox mode and

make
adjustments under DEF, then set to widescreen/anamorphic/16:9 and and

make adjustments under 16:9.

I was DEFinitely in DEF - Dre! Actually, if there were settings in the
other modes, as you suggested, they use names or code#s with which I am
not familiar.

I would still consider getting Avia and/or DVE (Digital Video
Essentials.) They contain nice instructions on how to perform

settings,
MANY more patterns, filters for setting tint/color if you don't want

mess with turning guns on and off, and extensive audio adjustments.

I may have exaggerated the extent of the errors, Andrew. More
realistically, on the Toshiba, when I center the rectangles, any cable
channel that uses frames will appear more to the right. On the Sony,
the patterns are to the right, just not as much.
Additionally, I should point out the on the Lucas frame just before the
squares, there is a grid pattern - squares that are supposed to be
about 2" square across the screen. On the Toshiba, the squares on the
left side are almost THREE INCHES WIDE, although heights are consistant
with no bowing or trapezoid. That means when I center it acc. to THX
using the frame with the rectangles and the circle, TV channels will
all be too far right. Alas there is no adjustment for this, at least
in the Toshiba.

Also, especially with the 24" Sony, too much brightness could

overload
the TV's power supply, causing bowing and other issues. Both DVD's

have
needle pulse patterns designed to help find your maximum white level
(Contrast or Picture) that the TV can properly handle.

No worries there! Using a scale of 0-100, Picture is at 60 and
brightness 55. The factory had picture at 90, so I knew enough to take
care of that. Color = 40, Sharp = 55.

--
If there is a no_junk in my address, please REMOVE it before

replying!

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross