:::Jerry:::: wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com.

Nowt wrong with jubilee clips, theyre the best option for the job.
Better than the usual metal bands, which are weaker and can come

off.

Oh right, so the people who frigging designed the joint / boot don't
know what they are doing but some bod on a newsgroup does ?!....

why dont we try and keep this sensible. Bands are used in prodution
because theyre cheaper in materials and more importantly cheaper in
labour, ie quicker to fit. They have high enough reliability for the
job, but are not perfect, and do occasionally come off.

The part of the jubilee clip that contains the worm drive is far to
large, not only could foul the boot causing premature wear,

might be an issue on some cars, not the ones Ive worked on, which isnt
many.

it used on
the larger part of the joint (hub or gearbox side of the point) it
might foul castings

ditto. Any competent person can check it has clearance before fitting,
and if not use something else.

and it could also cause the shaft to go out of
balance - although in most situation this will not be noticeable.

this has neen adressed already. The vibration caused by a gram of worm
screw is imperceptible compared to the vibration transmitted to the
shaft by road conditions. It is not a genuine issue.

Cable ties often work, but also often fail due to inadequate

strength.
If they were really adequate, the originals would be the cheaper
plastic ties as well.

What is lacking here is due to the person doing the job me thinks,
seeing that I could well have replaced more CV boots of all
descriptions (without problems) than you have ever seen !...

Then why is it that manufactureres dont use the cheaper plastic ties?
They would if they were fully satisfactory. I suspect the deal is that
theyre not reliable enough for production, but reliable enough for
later repairs - which demand a significantly lower level of
reliability.

NT