Ed Huntress

"John Horner" wrote in message
news:1aZce.3105$db7.1259@trnddc01...

I decided to spot check the first three of these citation to see if they

are
on the up and up...

An excellent idea, especially given the transgressions of this source in the
past. d8-)

..., and indeed they appear to be so: Comments and references
are inserted below.

John

Most of these brave men have since passed away.

REAL HOLLYWOOD HEROES:

Alec Guinness (Star Wars) operated a British Royal Navy landing craft
on D-Day.

I found plenty of references to Guinness joining up with the Royal Navy in
WWII, but couldn't find anything about his activities on D-day, which does
not mean that the original post was wrong, but simply that I couldn't find
more details in 10 minutes of googling.

He was not in Normandy on D-Day. His boat commands were in Sicily. He was
also involved in supplying Yugoslav partisans. It's in his biography,
through a paid service that I have access to through my work.

So, to those who claim that the list is a bunch of lies .... I think not!

I must have missed the people claiming it was a bunch of lies. What it is,
is a bunch of Brits and a Canadian represented as the old Hollywood, during
WWII. At least regarding the first four, we can say that foreign actors were
convinced that WWII was a war worth fighting. So was almost everyone else in
the Allied countries.

The premise of the essay, if it's worthy of that name, is that today's
Hollywood actors are somehow less principled. That may be, but WWII versus
the wars of today is not much of a litmus test. When the US, the UK, and the
Commonwealth countries were under attack, a large percentage of men in those
countries enlisted and served, actors or not. When we're not under attack
and we go to war anyway, it's a bit harder to meet recruitment
quotas...actors or not.

--
Ed Huntress