Mark & Juanita

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 21:47:33 -0400, loutent wrote:

Hi all,

Today was a great day here in the north-east for
retired woodworkers in the spring - a real rainy
dismal day where you could justify being in the shop
instead of outside in the garden transplanting, dividing
or just generally at SWMBO's beck and call.

"Yeah - it's a wash out honey - can't even do our 3+ mile
walk in this kind of weather" g.

10:00 AM: "I'll be down in the shop 'putzin' around' with the
entertainment center project."

"OK"

--------

I can really build boxes good. A month or so ago, I made a couple
of 44 (w) by 27 (h) x 26 (deep) cabinets out of oak ply -
no problem - couple of hours in the shop at the end of a day.

In the meantime, we are deciding how to arrange the shelving
in said boxes. Finally "we" agree that they should each have
a "half" shelf about 12" deep with a bottom support (since I have
about 1000+ LP's from the 70's on that I refuse to get rid of and
that I will rip to digital when I get time).

So there I am - starting at 10:AM - measuring, marking, testing,
re-testing - cutting, trimming, dado-ing (sp?). Routing a stopped
dado in opposte ends of a cabinet with a dado for a middle support
in said shelf and cabinet bottom.

6 Hours later - success - for 1 cabinet!

Jeez! And I have all the freakin' tools!

Is it just me? I am slow, so slow.... and Norm does so much
in 25 minutes...

I need support....

Lou

Nope -- things take longer in real life than in "Norm-life". Been
working on my entertainment center for the past 9 months (weekends and
holidays). Of course, it would be a lot farther along if I hadn't decided,
"hey I can add drawers on the bottom instead of shelves -- shouldn't take
too long to do 12 drawers." Then, "May as well try doing the drawers
dovetailed, that way I can be ready for the kitchen project". Then
proceeded to use up about 2 weeks of Christmas holiday getting the feel of
the Liegh jig -- still not satisfied with the results, but I had to finally
call a truce and decide when it was good enough.

Putting finish on the cabinets now -- I still have to build the grids for
glass for the top doors on the left and right side cabinets, but have
deferred that until I get the glass in a few weeks. Maybe, just maybe I
will be done in about 3 more months.

A wheelbarrow! Why didn't you say we had a wheelbarrow; you should
have included that in our list of assets!
Westley -- Princess Bride