Welllllllll, it actually was illegal. Was there a permit pulled.

Since when is a permit required to change an A/C compressor. That's
the example I gave that got this guy Steve all in a huff. It might be
in some whacko area, but for most area, it's not required.

Did you
pay tax on the work,

Yes, I paid tax

was the technician definitely refrigerant certified,

Yes he was, as that is his main career at a large industrial opeartion
that has enough A/C to require a guy on site.. Now tell me, how many
of residential customers that call in any A/C guy ask to see his
certification? So why jump on this issue?

did you cover his workmans comp and liability insurance while you were
subcontracting his services,

get this straight, I didn't "subcontract" anything. I'm not in a
business, just a private homeowner

did he use his own torch, recovery machine,
evacuation pump, solder, braze rod, nitrogen, nitrogen regulator,
refrigerant, or did he steal any of these from his employer? Did he
reimburse the employer for the use of this equipment.

As far as I know, he used his own eqpt. Does any homeowner check where
your eqpt came from? I can just see this "Uh, Mr. repairman, please
show me all your receipts to show where your tools came from. Geez,
get real.

I am gonna stop now,
but I think you get the idea. It is easy to come up with about a dozen
more
ways it was immoral, or illegal. If he was some hack with his own
tools and
machinery giving you a low ball bid it would be different. but if he
is
employed by someone else it is most likely against company policy,
immoral,
or illegal.

You should stop now. Because you don't know what you're talking about.
I could just as easily accuse any contractor of all kinds of things,
like screwing customers, doing unneccary work. But on the basis of all
the crap you've come up with, everyone is a crook because one thing or
another "might" not be proper, without any knowledge or proof that it
is. There are lots of guys that moonlight, run their own business on
the side and work for an employer. And as I have pointed out
repeatidly, he's not doing work that is in confict with his employer
because the employer is an A/C end user, not a contractor that
services/installs. Got it now? Or should we have a remedial class for
you guys on why 1099's aren't involved here either?