Jethro_uk

Indeed.

Better than the usual metal bands, which are weaker and can come off.

Some cars came with jubilee clips out of the factory.

I was always told that the worm gear end caused the whole half-shaft to be
unbalanced, leading to subtle but wearing vibration ...

I'm sure there's someone here who could work out the torque cause by 1g
spinning about an axis of 6-10cm at 1000+rpm ?

Besides on many cars there isn't enough clearance for the worm gear.

The proper way is a roll of thinly cut (about 5mm) sheet metal, and a box of
metal fasteners. You wind the metal twice around the boot, cut it, and fold
about 1cm over one hole in the clip. You then use a special pair of pliers
(which also act as cutters for the above) and grip the metal whilst pulling
on the clip.

Result - a fitting which is better than new.

I believe Snap-On sell the kit. Pliers, metal band, and a box of clips.