Prometheus

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 14:18:01 -0500, Patriarch
wrote:

"Teamcasa" wrote in :

Creating things is what I do, the more challenging, the better.
If was easy, anyone could do it.

Dave

There has to be a good reason. Any fool can beat their head against the
wall, and call it a challenge. There's no satisfaction in that. BTDT.

FWIW, the reason I create material things to the absolute best of my
ability is because 99% of my blood relations are crazier than
s**t-house rats. This means that to be a responsible citizen, I
cannot (in good faith) have children- whether I would like them or
not, (and I would like them, but remember the old saying- "Bad Blood
Will Out") The wife agrees with this after meeting the in-laws and my
would otherwise be fulfilled via progeny. Hell, the stuff I make may
*never* be worthy of a museum galley- but that's no reason not to try.
I've discussed this at length with my wife, and we've come to the
understanding that children are a "get out of production free" card of
sorts, and as such, we each feel the drive to create items of quality
to reflect our individual senses of life for posterity since we will
not be providing a future generation to carry on our values. I *know*
a lot of folks disagree with this viewpoint, but the whole "nature" V.
"nurture" debate has never been satisfacturally resolved for me, and I
cannot bear the idea of adding parasites to our already laden
societies.

Sometimes the whole thing makes me a little sad, but then I go make
something beautiful (at least to me,) and the world seems ok again for
a little while. Is there any other reason to build?

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam