Bruce L. Bergman

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 01:04:09 -0700, "azotic" wrote:
"AL" wrote in message

Look on the bright side. With so much business going overseas, high
quality manual and cnc machines can be had for cheap, at least in my area.

I can't comment on how to make money from a machine shop, but I agree with
others about developing a unique product and selling that.

If the product has a potentialy large market the folks in china will copy
your product and flood the market before your pattent is approved.

It gets better: You come up with something that's a big hit and
can't make them fast enough, so you farm out manufacturing to a
"supposedly reputable" plant in China. So far, so good...

But when the product is a worldwide hit they cover up your trademark
name on the molds YOU PAID FOR and crank out duplicates, assemble the
product on tooling designs & using methods YOU PAID FOR, and start
selling the products out the back door (wink wink, nod nod) for
cheaper than they're selling them to you for.

(I've seen products like that - their knock-offs of GFCI receptacles
where they milled the names off the mold and stamped new ones in.)

China has absolutely no integrity /at/ /all/ when it comes to
intellectual property rights. If your money is the proper color,
they'll knock off anything. Including counterfeiting the 'UL Listed'
stickers and other safety checks.

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545