D Murphy

wrote in news:1114709271.763705.296440
@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Where were you having trouble with the surface finish? Was it in the
threads?
The trouble was with the urned Dia. Today I had some time to play
with the machine. I changed the
angel a bit, put a slight radius on it, tightened up the gibs,
readjusted the rollers
and prayed for a miricle(as usual) Its quit a bit better although not
nearly as good as I'm used to
with the 12L14. Its also making chips quit a bit different than 12l14.
The 1018 are nearly flat and about 3/16 long and
packing into the toolholder making me have to stop and back the tool
out to get it to cut.
Also the threads were tearing. I tried usinf Tapmagic and that was
fine and then some thread cutting oil
I just got saterday. THe threads were fine with either of these but
with the soluble oil
which we normally use they were as I said torn.
I'm gong to look into getting a thread roller as you suggested.
We are using an older style without inserts.
We had the owner of th shop donw the road and his machinist wander in
and I asked them since they
have a similar machine and do the same parts. Their only suggestion was
radiusing the tool.
And thanks for all the advice. I'm having to learn all this on my own
so thanks

I would get rid of the soluble oil. The old Brownies weren't really
designed to run with water. A good cutting oil formulated for screw
machines with sulpher and chlorinated parrifin additives will help with
finish and even with chip control to some extent. I'm starting to get the
impression that this is a hand screw machine rather than a cam operated
automatic. Is that right? Maybe a 00? Anyway your more than welcome for
the advise. Feel free to keep us updated and post any other questions you
might have.

--

Dan