Tim Williams

"JRJohnson" wrote in message
Nuclear power plant fuel rod?????
Ooops!!!!

Believe it or not, that thought (fuel rod) occurred to me, but since I am
still here and not glowing, I presume that it wasn't radioactive.

Well, I doubt the casing itself would have much residual radioactivity,
despite the large neutron flux it handles in use.

Zr isn't magnetic though, and likely throws bright white sparks just like
titanium. I'm not aware of any iron alloys, seems to me it'd be brittle,
but it might exist. (Nothing with 10% of each comes up on Matweb.)

Tim

--
"California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes."