Rich256

"Mark" wrote in message
ups.com...
but the theory is that if you let it run dry, there is only a small
amount of gas left in the carb, yes that will evaporate and leave a
small amount of residue...

the alternative is leave the tank full and you then have an unlimited
amount of gas to evaporate leaving a much larger amount of residue...
thats why I add Stabil then let it run dry. whatever small amount of
gas is left still prbobaly evaporates but if there should be a large
pool left somplace, the Stabil will slow down the degredation.

If the object of the game is to have the least amount of residue left,
my bet is to have the least amount of gas avaialbe (i.e let it run
drey) and have the gas that is left, stabilized. i.e. put stabil in
before I let it run dry.

Mark

I think putting in the Stabil is a waste of time. If you drain the tank and
then run the engine until it dies there isn't enough left to leave any
residue. There is no place to leave a "pool" at that point.

As others have pointed out in cool climates I have found no problem. When I
lived in a warm climate I found reasons to start the mower occasionally so
it was still not a problem. In cold climates the snow blower is the most
likely to gum up if you don't drain the tank. I have been doing that for 30
years and that same engine still starts on the first pull each winter. I
also use Mobil 1 5W30 oil in it. Never have drained or added to my lawn
mower and it is on it's 25th year. Still starts on the first pull. But it
is stored in a rather cold area that rarely gets much above freezing. The
blower on the other hand experiences 90+ for months.

I guess the bottom line is to do whatever you feel safe with.