Groggy

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 17:51:12 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 18:12:18 -0400, the inscrutable Tom Watson
spake:

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 05:10:20 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

As Margaret Shertzer wrote in her book, The Elements of Grammar, "Most
common nouns ending in "o" preceded by a consonant form their plurals
by adding an "es" to the singular." typo, typoes.

Webster agreed in their New Collegiate dictionary with "The plural
form of a noun ending in a consonant and "o" is -oes: hero, heroes."

OK - I had to run this morning and didn't have time to look up the
reference until now:

Webster's New World College Dictionary, Fourth Edition. 2000. p.
1549: "Typo" n., pl. "pos"...

Now pay up!

Damn those revisionist historians! I'm still 2:1 on ya, so it's
time for your crowbar, not mine.

Now pay up!

There's something about 'Murricans fighting over the English language
that just makes me smile....

It's good to see you two haven't changed.

cheers,

Groggy [poo suit /on}