Joseph Meehan

Rick Brandt wrote:
"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
SteveB wrote:
"Robert11" wrote in message

..

I took my Honda to the shop because it wouldn't run. I know about
engines, and couldn't make it run. The guy told me NOT to leave the
gas in there for any length of time, or it changes completely, and
is not very combustible.
I now either empty it out, or let it run dry before stowing.

Steve

I don't think you will go wrong empting it out, but your Honda
rep is wrong, at least partly wrong. It takes considerable time for
gas to go bad. It is a standard chemical reaction that starts slow
and builds speed using free radicals in the process. Stabilizer
just controls the free radicals. However there is a different
reaction that can cause gas to go bad in a short time. If it is
allowed to evaporate (and some older mowers did allow a lot of this)
then it would go bad quickly from the evaporation of the liter
components (stabilizer will not help this at all).

I have had my Troy-Bilt 30 inch walk-behind for about 9 years and
have never burned anything in it but Amoco (now BP) ultimate
gasoline. For those unfamiliar this gas is as clear as a glass of
water. I never drain, I never treat, and I never pull more than once
(possibly twice the first time in the spring). I figure this costs
me an extra 5 or 6 bucks a year over regular unleaded.

I acknowledge that this is purely anecdotal, but I figure that the
stuff that turns to gunk is the stuff that is not refined out of
normal gas.

The stuff that turns to gunk IS normal gas. :-)

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia's duit