John Stumbles

Mike Dodd wrote:

"ski" wrote in message
They install the pump valves first and then slide the pump into place

and
tighten the enormous no spanner available nuts with a pump spanner. If

you
had applied heat to the nuts ( after draining the system ) they would
have
come off easier

P.S.

The rant amused me no end. I can visualise you attacking the " I'm not
coming off for anyone pump" and wondering how those "overpaid" heating
engineers do it with such ease. By the way how much did all those tools
cost
you?

LOL, okay, the tools £10 for the 32mm, and £18 for the 300mm adjustable,
the
difference between buying the pump from Screwfix and buying from B&Q; I do
try to pay for the right tool for the job on the assumption that I (or
someone I know) will find it useful in future.

Screwfix do a F*** Off great water pump-type pliers which will grip the
union nuts on a CH pump. B&Q do one too, but screwfix's is about half the
price - about £17 compared to £30 or so.

However there are always situations in which you can't get whatever tools
you have onto the fitting you want to dismantle, or can't get enough force
on it to shift it (or it's just plain welded up) and end up having to cut
out and re-do more of the pipework either side.

Your story illustrates why I personally don't quote fixed prices for jobs
like this: if I allowed for half of the gotchas which could arise the price
would sound like something off Rogue Traders, and if I quote for how much
it should take if all goes well I'm liable to end up catching the mother of
all colds when it goes TU.

It has removed 3077 spam emails to date.
Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!

I am using Mozilla which is free: free-as-in-speech _and_ free-as-in-beer.
It has removed more spam than you can shake a very big stick at, and
doesn't insert its own spam into my messages.