Proctologically Violated©®

Surely you jest....
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , Harold and Susan Vordos says...

The LW is not reliable
and often gives poor results. They're worthless when working under a
thou.

While I agree with you on the bestest indicators (recently purchased
one here at work) I would have to say you are going to be
perpetually doomed to disapointment if you expect an indicator
which has graduations down to a thousanth, to be reliable down
*below* a thousanth. [1]

Yes I know some last words have half thou tick marks. But the
spacing is the same between thousanths.

I do own one last work that has tenths graduations, and it does
read reliably in that range. This is the 711-D-10. The besttest
is noticeably nicer than that one.

Jim

[1] this is richard feynan's "The Last Click Is Never Any Good"
theory. Basically it says that in any instrument, the last digit
on the dial, or the last click on the switch (in, say, an amplifier
gain setting, or a scope timebase setting) is basically a JC
maneuver by the manufacturer.

It should never be really believed because if it were solid, the
manufacturer would say 'hey, we can squeeze out one more digit
or one more dial click' so the scope can have a 0.01 microsecond
per division last click on the dial, instead of a 0.1 microsecond
click.

So the manufacturing algorithm is: make an instrument, and see how
reliably and repeatably it measures. Then put one more division on
the dial, one more digit on the meter, or one more click on the
switch. Then market and sell. This is what starrett did when they
put a half tenths division on those last word indicators.

Sounds crazy I know, but the rule is true more often than not. It's
a rare manufacturer who's instruments can meet the spec with factors
of two or five left over. You probably know all of them by name,
in your field of expertise. In my business they have names like
Tektronix, or Agilent (formely HP).

The "Last Click Is Never Any Good" rule is a corolary to my bosses
"The last click on the dial is what costs all the money" maxim

please reply to: