D Murphy

wrote in news:1114551639.121155.28550
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

I was setting up our ancient Brown and Sharp to do some long screws.
The O.D. is .375 with 2in of 2.125 length shaved down to .162 to put an
8-32 thread on first in. They had always used 12L14 to do this and I
had mentioned trying 1018 but wondered how it would do when shaving off
all that material in one pass. My background is not production so I
didnt know how hard it would be.
I tried using the 1018 today and the finish was terrible. SO I
switched to the 12l14 to see the difference with the same cutter and
same setup. It was much better with the 12L14. We were in a real panic
to get some screws finished and shipped so I had our operator rn the
12L14. I'm wondering if 1018 is suitable to use when your using shave
tools and would I need a different angle on the cutter or what? I'm
wasng to try the 1018 again Wens or Thurset time.

If you are hell bent on 1018 then you should consider getting rid of the
shave tool and going with an inserted roller box tool mounted on the
turret. Or you could stick with the shaver and go with a thread rolling
attachment as the thread roller will spiff up the surface finish on the
threads. But if 12L14 is acceptable why change? If you want shinier parts
then get a bar of 303EZ Stainless and do a little test cutting with it. I'm
guessing that the strength of this fastener is not a big issue. Brass is
always good and can run unattended in a Brownie. Sometimes the labor
savings can offset the material cost.

--

Dan