Default 1018 vs 12L14 when shaving on screw machines??

I was setting up our ancient Brown and Sharp to do some long screws.
The O.D. is .375 with 2in of 2.125 length shaved down to .162 to put an
8-32 thread on first in. They had always used 12L14 to do this and I
had mentioned trying 1018 but wondered how it would do when shaving off
all that material in one pass. My background is not production so I
didnt know how hard it would be.
I tried using the 1018 today and the finish was terrible. SO I
switched to the 12l14 to see the difference with the same cutter and
same setup. It was much better with the 12L14. We were in a real panic
to get some screws finished and shipped so I had our operator rn the
12L14. I'm wondering if 1018 is suitable to use when your using shave
tools and would I need a different angle on the cutter or what? I'm
wasng to try the 1018 again Wens or Thurset time.