Dave Hinz

On 25 Apr 2005 12:59:10 -0700, jim rozen wrote:
In article , Dave Hinz says...

I've heard, er, rumors (yeah, that's it) that Dow Corning optical grease
(as used to couple photomultiplier tubes to scintillation crystals) is
a right bitch to get off of, say, the windshield of a particularly
annoying coworker. The more he wiped, the worse it got.

Hypothetically, that is.

Heh. I think the approved method is to boil in NaOH solution.
Tough to get a beaker that big.

When we had to clean the grease off the crystals, we used isopropyl and
some really nice lint-free cloths, and a LOT of elbow-grease. The glass
on the crystals, however, had a much better polish (and was quite a bit
smaller) than his car's windshield.

Wish I had a few boxes of that cloth...