jim rozen

In article , joel
says...

I was having an issue with the feed dial on the compound on my logan
10", where it would be free and follow the handwheel when i spun the
handwheel CCW, but when i turned the handwheel CW, the dial would spin
inwards, butt against the threaded-in faceplate that holds the compound
screw, and stop moving.

Not uncommon. The reason your dial 'ratchets' like that is the
contact area between the inside thrust surfaces (between the
inside of the bushing, and the shoulder on the crossfeed screw)
is different than the contact area on the outside thrust surfaces
(between the dial and the front of the bushing).

In the case of a south bend machine, that sort of behavior
indicates that either the total clearance in the assembly is
too small (below a thousanth), the leadscrew is slightly tweaked
and binding someplace, or the thrust bearing surfaces are
badly worn and grooved, and are binding up.

Jim

please reply to: