Doug Miller

In article , "Burhans" wrote:
All,
I recently purchased a 20 Gallon Hot Water Heater (120V) 2000 Total
Watts...... The National Wiring Code stated that it needs a 25 Amp/10 Gauge
Wire.......

[snip]

Could someone elaborate on why National Wiring Code would not allow me to
use a 12 Guage Wire / 20 Amp Breaker?

Because a water heater is a "continuous load" as defined by the Code, and
continuous loads are not permitted to exceed 80% of the rated ampacity of the
circuit. For a 20A circuit, that is a maximum continuous load of 16A. Your
water heater will pull 2000W / 120V = 16.67A, which is 83.3% of the ampacity
of a 20A circuit. Thus you need at minimum 25A and 10ga wire. But don't knock
yourself out trying to find a 25A breaker - you can run 30A on 10ga wire, too,
and it will be much easier to find a 20A breaker.

--
Regards,