Tim Williams

High smoke point oils: I hear peanut mentioned a lot. Canola would probably
work being cheaper, but cooler. Motor oil will work but might get stinky,
you never know what's in there... Just remember to quench it deep under the
surface so the bubbles get re-absorbed into the liquid, instead of coming to
the surface and bursting into flames.

Tim (disclaimer: I've only done water quenched as yet)

--
"California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes."

"Bandit" wrote in message
oups.com...
HI guys,
I have been lurking around here for awhile reading interesting posts
and gaining knowledge.

My question is, what is the "proper" type of oil for heat treating and
hardening small punches and buttons and so on. I have had a machinest
at work tell me "you want to use a high sulfur based oil".(- All I
know is when I used a high sulfur based oil to harden with it STUNK
like you know what!?) So, I guess what I'm asking is, what type of oil
is the correct oil? Can motor oil be used? Thanks, Tracy