Keith Carlson

"DL" wrote in message
news:Ksyae.4804$lz1.333@lakeread01...

I guess what puzzles me with all the questions I have been getting about
what I am planning to do will cost more or it is not necessary. I would
understand it if I was going to do something that potentially dangerous,
but

David, I think a lot of guys are just looking at the plan for 400A service
and scratching their heads wondering "why". Because most of us try to things
in a safe, yet cost-effective way, I think it's natural for people to
question it.

5000 sq ft is a big house. But there are plenty of homes around me in the
3000-3500 sq ft range, being built with 200A service. And probably a bigger
factor than the size: are there more people living in the 5000 sq. ft. house
than a 3000? More concurrent use of electrical power?

The electrician who came out to inspect my last add-on circuit told me most
of the newer houses with 200A panels will probably never even see 100A being
drawn. They install a 200A service panel mainly to have more spaces for
breakers. (and I'm assuming the cost for a 200A main breaker and the larger
wire size in a new installation is relatively small).

But what's the cost of upgrading from 200A to 400A service? Compared to
another solution like two 200A panels to make room for more
circuits/breakers? Someone else's advice about a load calculation is right
on the money. That's the starting point, and I'd be surprised if the
electrician hasn't done it. If it were my money, I'd want to see the
reasoning behind his recommendation.

Just my opinion.