Chris Bacon wrote:
wrote:
3. buy car batteries and know theyll be dead after 500 cycles

Erm, with an UPS, isn't it the case that the batteries should hardly
ever be "cycled", but be fully charged almost all the time?

yep, its only in a power cut they get cycled. Hence you can use car
batts on UPSes. They wont last as long as deep cycle batteries. And
used working car batts r cheap... its a costcut option anyway.

4. Make some new batteries, using either the scrap lead from the

old,
or roofing lead sheet. Its not hard.

Yeah, right. Come on Nige, I normally agree with you, but on this,

no!

Yep. Done it. The downside is they look completely unprofessional and
arent all solidly held together like commercial batts. Lead acid
technology is very basic. Any book on lead acids I've ever read has
complicated the sh1t out of it, and coincidentally, has been sponsored
by a battery manufacturer, ie its purpose is basically to dissuade
people from making their own for peanuts.

NT