Kevin Ricks

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
m...
In article ,
wrote:
I had all kinds of surprizes when I bought this house.
For example the prveious owner decided to "save money" and not bother
with the big 3 prong plug for the clothes dryer. They simply connected
the romex right into the dryer. No way to unplug it if there was a
problem. Got rid of that mess in a hurry.
Same way with th garage door opener. No breaker or shutoff nearby
(detatched garage) . They also buried the power cable to the garage
under 12" of soil.

That one is actually OK per code under certain conditions. (120V @ 20A max
with GFCI)

I am pretty sure the code says at least 12" deep for a 120V 20A GFCI circuit
with UF cable.
I think the OP is saying that his cable was less than 12" deep.
Kevin