DoN. Nichols

In article ,
R.H. wrote:
Just posted some more photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking:

327) For making a shaped cavity -- in wood, I think. The shape is
wrong for it to be a deburring tool for metal. And, it looks to
be center-cutting, so it does not need a pre-drilled hole to
start it.

328) You are making a ring, with the outer text of the coin showing
up on the inside of the ring. I've known of this for years, and
have recently seen this discussed in one of the fora which I
frequent. I forget whether it is rec.crafts.metalworking, or a
mailing list.

Anyway, you cut out the center, and smooth it nicely, and
finally polish the OD.

P.S. You've got more patience than I had back when I first
learned of this technique. Did you use a spoon, or a small
hammer?

329) Support for some form of workpiece. The T-handle probably
goes into some master supporting object where it can pivot, and
the claws support a workpiece of some form. At a guess, I would
say that it would be used by a blacksmith, to allow a heavy
workpiece to be swung between the anvil and the forge (heat
source).

It could be an extendible grabber *if* it had:

1) A handle to extend it from the support end.

2) Another handle to grip/release the claws.

Lacking those, I stand by my first impression.

330) I *think* another form of blacksmithing tool. That would mount
on an anvil, to allow forming of rings and similar things.

331) An ER (Extended Range) series collet. I'm not sure which of
several sizes this one is -- perhaps ER-16. (I use an ER-25 set
with my little Emco-Maier Compact-5/CNC lathe, and with the
companion C5 milling machine.

332) The business end of an extension grabber. The cylinder is
probably 1/4" or smaller. Operated by a plunger and (probably)
a T-handle grip. Most have a flexible section between the
handle and the grabber fingers.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564