Daniel A. Mitchell

Lane no spam wrote:

It's made of cast iron with holes to bolt to the bench top; its just

a stand

with bronze bushings (oil caps on top) for the arbor with a pully in

the

middle that you hook up to a motor behind. You can put a grinding

wheel,

wire wheel or buffer on either side. There are tool rests, but no

wheel

guards of any kind. I've got one and want to put it on ebay but

haven't the

foggiest idea what they are called. I've Googled and searched on Ebay

every

which way but can't find another one to compare it to. What are these

things

called? I'm sure its an antique.

Lane

The one I inherited says "Montgomery Ward" on one line on the decal and
"Grinding Arbor" on the next. My grandfather used an old washing
machine motor in combination with a wheeled sign frame from his gas
station to mount it. It replaced his old hand-crank grinder out in the
garage. Uses 6" wheels and has very cheesy guards and tool rests on
it. It worked well enough to sharpen lawnmower blades, anyway. This
one is a deluxe version, has ball bearings.

Stan

As I recall (it was long time back) "Grinding Arbor" or "Polishing
Arbor" defined the basic stand with shaft, pulley, and bearings. Such
was used for open wheel grinding, wire brushes, and buffing wheels. Most
had no guards at all.

When you added the wheel guards and grinding tool rests, you had a
"Bench Grinder".

I doubt the nomenclature was highly standardized.

Dan Mitchell