Daniel A. Mitchell

Arbor

I've never heard them called anything but a 'bench grinder'. Most were
driven by an external motor via a pulley and belt(s) ... the integral
motor is just a newer version. There were VERY common through W.W.-II.

I have two of them (6" and 10") still in service mounted in my garage.
They are from my dad's shop. They are bolted to a sturdy bench, with the
motors mounted above and behind them on the wall. I just use them for
'snag' grinding now (and only occasionally), as I now have far better
grinders in my shop. The 10" has a HUGE but only 1/2 hp.(they're LARGE
'horses') repulsion-induction motor on it with a double belt.

These grinders are fine for rough work, but the belts cause some
vibration that is undesirable for more precise work.

Dan Mitchell