Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk

Clearly impractical in many cases. Soldering is good, but proper
mechanical support of the joint is essential, as solder is very weak.
The effective way to give this support is to twist the 2 copper wires
together for many turns. The far ends will not move relative to each
other. But insulation?

I hesitated about soldering as I vaguely remember when I had tried
soldering some solid core mains cable (for a non-mains project) the core
insulation was quickly damaged certainly beyond usability for mains
voltage applications. perhaps a higher lower melting solder might have
helped to a .... degree (or 2)

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)