Simon Barr

In article . com, wrote:
Try buying part-used batteries on the geek surplus market (helps to be
local too). They're rated at a 10 year life but "real" UPSes often swap
them at 5. I've bought massive cells (twice the size of a car battery
cell) at £1.50 each in the past, although I was buying a ton or two.

I wouldn't bother with used, you just can't be sure what you're getting.

Yuasa rate their batteries at 5 years on standby.

And I wouldn't trust APC kit as far as I could throw it. I've never had
a project with APC kit where they _haven't_ failed in a manner that
boiled the battery and dumped acid either onto the client's carpet, or
into a 19" rack cab full of kit.

I've *never* known any UPS to boil batteries and dump acid and I've replaced
batteries in maybe 50 over the years. Some of them were very deformed from
high temperatures but all held onto their contents.

You must be very unlucky!

--
simon at sbarr dot demon dot co dot uk
Simon Barr.