J. Clarke

Richard Cline wrote:

In article ,
Clyde wrote:

You should be able to keep your old basketweave panels. It is no big
deal to separate them from the post. Just cut between the post and the
2 X 2 members amd you will quickly sever the 3 or 4 nails.

If you can't get 4 X 4 redwood, get cedar or treated lumber or any kind
of 4 X 4 and treat it yourself. I find your cost of 4 X 4 redwood
astounding. We can get it here in California very cheaply. I just
priced some fencing done by a local contractor. A top quality 6'
redwood fence costs around $30 a foot. (4 X 4 Redwood posts, 1 X 6
redwood boards, and 2 X 4 redwood laterals.) I'm sure that half the
cost is labor.

I'm about to replace 200 feet of basketweave. My dog tears it up llike
it was balsa.

You might want to try Ipe or Massaranduba instead of redwood--I suspect that
your dog is going to find them much less tearable. Unless of course
replacing torn up basketweave is your idea of fun.

I still maintain that you will be ahead by putting in a new, solid post
and eliminate the patchwork efforts.

Dick

When I was looking at getting replacement panels for the fence, I
couldn't find anyone online that carried aimilar basketweave.
Sections that were the same size but less "weave" were over $1000
each.

When I tried finding replacement redwood slats or rails I couldn't
find those either. I couldn't even find a supplier of 2x2 redwood for
the rails. None of my local suppliers had or knew any sources for
redwood, and I have a feeling I would not find a 4x4 redwood post that
would fit my budget.

The idea is to keep the redwood that I have since it's hard to come by
and really expensive.

I thought about using PVC because it's easier to drill holes in the
bottom and put bolts thru to add in "twist proofing" in the concrete
base. I'm sure I could find some square tubing that would probably be
better for the application and predrill holes in it I guess.

Perhaps a better concrete with higher shear strength or something
would also be advantageous.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate