Arch

Default A COC's major rant about a minor problem

I appreciated your friendly responses to my requests for the size, form
and pitch of the adapter hole in the body of a Nova chuck. So far no
answer and by now I'm not likely to get one. I don't mean to be
petulant, but even if minor consequence, the outcome made me wonder.

I believe the difference between products
that are protected by closed trade secrets as opposed to open patents is
significant to woodturners. Furthermore, I believe that just _knowing
something about the materials, specifications, design and limits of the
machinery and all the other products we employ in home workshops is
reasonable and not a bad thing.

You may argue that someone who has no idea where the brake or
accelerator pedals in a car go to can drive as safely and efficiently as
if they did know. Maybe so, but _knowing as much as possible and that
includes threads, about dangerous machinery doesn't seem much of a
stretch to me although I can understand why others couldn't care less.

We seem to need to know all about the steel in our gouges, the bearings
in our headstocks, the shape of our chuck jaws, the mechanisms in our
speed controls.... Is it so contrary to want to know the threads in our
Nova chucks or in any other machinery we use? End of rant.

Some jaws interchange between Nova and Oneway chucks. Are the threads in
question the same? If so, can I know their specs whether I need to or
not?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter