Andrew Gabriel

In article om,
"Dave Liquorice" writes:
On 21 Apr 2005 00:07:00 GMT, Ian Stirling wrote:

The era of induction disc meters being able to turn backwards
disappeared some 10-15 years ago. There is no way any

Looks at my 40 year old meter.

It may look 40yrs old but lecky meters are supposed to be replaced
every 10 years by your local supplier as a matter of routine...

All the ones I know of are much older than that, mostly very much so.
My parents' one is nearly 50 years old, although it had a new glass
fitted about 35 years ago when the ironing board fell out of the
cupboard landing on my dad, and he kicked it back in again anger.

I was involved in a remote meter reading project in the early 1990's.
At that time, the meters were spec'ed with a 40 year life expectancy
and a 10 year replacement guarantee. The 40 year life expectancy ruled
out the use of LCD and LED displays, and anything but the most basic
semiconductor components (certainly nothing microcontroller based).
Things seem to have changed since then though -- I don't think anyone
in the industry thinks anything like 40 years ahead anymore.

--
Andrew Gabriel