Grant Erwin

What do you mean by "The 8' is gonna kill you dimension wise"?

Do you mean if I build this I won't be able to lift it? Or it will be
somehow difficult to build? Or I won't be able to buy steel that long?
Or what?

GWE

DanG wrote:
Grant,
The 8' is gonna kill you dimension wise, and crawling a skid steer
that far in reverse is liable to kill someone else. Is there no
way to dovetail the back end of the rig and get down to some
conventional triangle shaped ramps?

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message

My buddy wants to build some ramps to load a skid steer onto the
back
of a flatbed. He plans to build 2 ramps, each of which is built
like a
ladder. The side rails will be steel channel and the cross
pieces will
be steel angle, all hot rolled, welded. He has asked my help in
figuring
how light he can build it. I figure his Bobcat weighs around
4000 pounds.
I own a Ryerson Steel data book which has allowable uniform
loads for
steel channels but it doesn't go down to the 4" or 3" channel
he's
considering. I can't find any useful specs online, not because I
haven't
googled, but because I get way too much wrong information or
because I
can't think of the smart way to limit or phrase the search
string.

In particular, I want to know the allowable uniform load in ksi
of 4" and
3" channel, each the lightest channel made (approximately 3/16")
with a
span of eight feet.

Anyone?

Grant Erwin