ATP*

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
My buddy wants to build some ramps to load a skid steer onto the back
of a flatbed. He plans to build 2 ramps, each of which is built like a
ladder. The side rails will be steel channel and the cross pieces will
be steel angle, all hot rolled, welded. He has asked my help in figuring
how light he can build it. I figure his Bobcat weighs around 4000 pounds.
I own a Ryerson Steel data book which has allowable uniform loads for
steel channels but it doesn't go down to the 4" or 3" channel he's
considering. I can't find any useful specs online, not because I haven't
googled, but because I get way too much wrong information or because I
can't think of the smart way to limit or phrase the search string.

In particular, I want to know the allowable uniform load in ksi of 4" and
3" channel, each the lightest channel made (approximately 3/16") with a
span of eight feet.

Anyone?

Grant Erwin
Kirkland, Washington

I bought a set of ramps for my Bobcat, which were used by the previous owner
to load a Bobcat into a dump truck. I haven't tried them yet and I'm not
sure how well they will really work or how scary the ride will be! I think
they are 11' long. I can take some measurements next time I am in my yard.